Eligibility Criteria For Energy Renovation of Public Buildings
For buildings to be eligible for renovation under the Project, they have to:
- Be owned by (or ownership assigned to) the central government (excluding publicly-owned enterprises, private buildings with public agency tenants).
- Be structurally and seismically safe and have no high flood risk.
- Not had a full EE renovation in the past 10 years and be at least 5 years old.
- Have no plan for office moves, closure, building demolition, or privatization.
Buildings that are listed as cultural heritage sites must have their designs approved by the relevant Government agencies before any renovation works can take place. Following types of subprojects will not be supported by the Project (non-eligible subprojects):
- Administrative services and facilities, i.e., rehabilitation of political parties’ and trade unions’ offices, rehabilitation of cooperatives’ or other owner groups’ facilities.
- Religious infrastructure facilities and services as the rehabilitation of mosques, churches and other buildings for religious purposes.
- Facilities with a commercial character such as private, commercial and entertainment facilities (e.g., bars, dance clubs, camps, health strengthening centers, summer camps for children)
- Buildings related to national defense and correctional facilities (prisons)
- Procurement of transport units or other machines to be used by mayor’s office workers
- Other types of subprojects and activities that would have a negative impact on the environment, encourage the marginalization of social and ethnical groups, duplicate other projects and activities supported by other institutions, not be in compliance with Turkish Legislation.
- Subprojects submitted by central government institutions when previously renovated buildings under the Project have not followed their obligations regarding maintenance and operations.
- Any subproject which would trigger of the Operational Policy on Involuntary Resettlement, i.e., buildings that involve land acquisition or resettlement
- Any subproject that involves use of or discharge into certain waterways, reliance on existing hydroelectric dams, etc.
- Any subproject which would be defined as Category A according to WB OP 4.01 (details are given in the ESMF).
- Any subproject which would have impacts on Natural Habitats.
 Public buildings related to defense, law enforcement or security are not be eligible. Buildings that involve land acquisition, resettlement, use of or discharge into certain waterways, reliance on existing hydroelectric dams, etc. would also not be eligible.
 A building is considered structurally and seismically safe, if (a) the construction permit for the building was issued in or after January 2000, or (b) for buildings whose construction permit was issued before January 2000, the building is officially assessed by a civil engineer (registered with the Turkish Chamber of Civil Engineers) as structurally and seismically safe, and such assessment has been accepted by MoEU (recognizing that should a building be assessed as not structurally and seismically sound, the related structural works to address such deficiencies may be added to a subproject only if the total cost of the renovations have a payback period of under 12 years.